Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Embracing the Cuban

Tonight I cooked up a family favorite for me, Picadillo. Now, I hate olives with a passion, so I don't know that I can call this "authentic" but I can say this recipe is the one that my Cuban great grandmother used!

1lb ground beef
2 garlic cloves
1 onion, chopped
1/2 c raisins  
1 large can of tomatoes
1tbsp cumin
1/2 tsp pepper
1tsp salt
1/4 sliced olives (green, some suggest pimento stuffed)
1 tbsp vinegar
Rice

Some recipes call for green pepper and actual tomato sauce & paste. I don't use either but I imagine it would be good! I've also seen oregano & bay leaves used as well.

Sauté the garlic and onions in olive oil. Cook meat and drain. Add onions & galic and mix up. Add the rest of the ingredients and let it simmer for 20 min. A good indication it's ready is that the raisins are plump and look like little black beans! Serve over steamed rice.
I hope you enjoy my taste of Cuba!



No comments:

Post a Comment

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS