Saturday, July 28, 2012

Meal Planning

Since I am only cooking for two these days - and on a budget - I have really gotten into doing meal planning. So last week whole chickens were on sale for $.99 a lb. Of course, I bought one. I took the chicken and stuffed it with potatoes, carrots, onion, parsley, salt and pepper. (I would have used an apple if I had one!). I brushed a little olive oil on top and sprinkled salt, pepper, paprika, and parsley on top. Next, I added about a cup or two of water (you could use chicken broth). I put it in the oven for about 30 minutes covered. Next, I added chopped potatoes, onions and carrots around the chicken, basted it some, then added a few pads of olive oil spread (or butter).  I then left it uncovered, to allow the skin to get crispy but lock the juices in.  I continued to baste it until it was cooked. When it was done, I ladled the juice out for gravy and took out the vegtables (DO NOT eat the ones from inside the bird!) Next I took the chicken out of the roasting pan and put the pan back in the oven to brown on the edges. When the edges have browned, take it out and strain the pieces of skin/meat etc.  Reserve the juice for gravy.  Pull the meat off of the bones, and put the cleaned carcus in a large pot of water. Cover, bring to a boil, and cook for awhile. This will flavor the water as a base for a chicken soup. After about 20 minutes of boiling, strain and throw out the carcus (reserving the broth).


Here is what a I had left over after a few days. So, I decided to make a soup! I had a ton of other vegtables in the fridge, so I decided to use them to make a chicken soup. You can use any vegtables, but here are a few "staples" I keep on hand for soups.



I keep a few canned things on hand - tomatoes, broth, and different types of beans.  They don't go bad, and are great additions to any soup!

First I took some garlic, onion, celery, and olive oil and sauteed it in the bottom of a soup pot.  I slowly began adding vegtables, and the "broth" I made from boiling the carcus.  In the picture below I show what I added: carrots, zuccini, corn, broccoli, green beans.

I added fresh herbs - basil and parsley - and salt & pepper.  Add herbs, and garlic according to how strong you like your broth! I slowly added chicken, and water, and 1 can of broth until I had a large enough pot of soup. You can use all canned broth, or water whatever you have. I thought it needed more flavor, so  I added a little bit of the juice I'd preserved as well. I added alot of broth so that I could add noodles or rice. I brought the soup to a rolling boil and then added 1/2 cup of brown rice. You can use as much as you like, but start slow so that you make sure you dont have too much rice and not enough broth! Once you add the rice, cover and remove from heat.

Let it simmer awhile, and its done! I put it in 5 small containers to put in the freezer to eat later!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS