Monday, July 30, 2012

Fruity Baked Oatmeal

This morning I realized I had several types of fruit that were on the verge of going bad. So I came up with this variation on a crisp/baked oatmeal. Its low in sugar, healthy, and super easy to make! Here is a picture of the finished product:
First I pulled out all of my fruit - you can use any berries, apples, peaches - whatever you have! I used blueberries, strawberries and 1 peach.I sliced all the fruit up and put in in the bottom of a greased pie plate. The amount depends completely one how much fruit you have , how large your baking dish is, and how you want the fruit to oatmeal ratio to be! Next, I cut about 1/4 of a stick of butter up in small pieces and put it in a bowl with about 11/2 cups of flour (started with 1 c but realized later I needed some more) I added cinnamon and pumpkin pie spice into the oatmeal mix. You could use any spices you like - nutmeg, cinnamon, etc. Pumpkin pie spice is nutmeg, allspice, and ginger mixed together. Next, I took about 1 tbsp of organic brown sugar (or you could do Agave Nectar or Honey) and I tossed the fruit in it (in the pie dish) Once it looked to be covered LIGHTLY, I added the oatmeal on top. Since the oatmeal is on top, its important you add enough liquid to make it cook.  So I poured milk over the top. Just pour enough to cover the fruit up, but I'd say a little less than half of the depth of the pan. Again - the amount of milk really just depends on the amount of oatmeal. When I originally poured my cup of oats on top, it wasnt enough to cover. So I sprinkled a little more on top (which makes me think I used 1 1/4-1 1/2) Lastly, I sprayed a little cooking spray on top to help the top layer cook/brown. You could also use a spray butter - or nothing at all. I cooked it on 350 for about 15-20 minutes or until the oatmeal was cooked. At some places it appeared uncooked or dry, so I periodically opened the oven and turned those spots under to cook.

This was SO good, and not too sweet and I did it in about 10 minutes (not including cooking). I'll be eating this all week!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS