Saturday, July 28, 2012

Healthy Italian Sausage Sandwich


This is my first food post, but honestly, no less important to me than my political or fashion posts. :) My grandmother always made these fantastic italian saugage sandwiches when I was growing up. Of course, they were terrible for you. As an adult, I have a hard time eating one without eating cucumbers and celery for the rest of the day -- until I found this brand of Chicken Sausage. Al Fresco Chicken Sausage comes in a variety of flavors and is relatively healthy. With only 4.5 grams of fat it makes a pretty good substitute for the real thing. Here is my finished product:

To make the sandwich above, here is what you'll need:

1 package of your favorite brand of Organic Chicken Sausage - I used Al Fresco.
Garlic
Onion - I used a plain white onion
Red Bell Pepper (or any color)
1 can of diced tomatoes
Olive Oil
Mozzarella Cheese (optional)
Hoagie Roll
Spinach

  1. Put some olive oil and garlic in a large saute pan. Add Onion, Peppers, and saute them until they are soft.
  2. The sausage is already cooked, but will need to be heated through, so add the package after the peppers and onions have softend.
  3. Pour a can of diced tomatoes over sausage and peppers/onion. Cover, and allow to simmer. Cook for about 10-15 minutes on medium/med-low heat. (you dont want the vegtables to get too soft. )
  4. Cut hoagie rolls and place in an oven or taoster oven to warm. Take them out when the outside is crusty but they are still soft inside.
  5. Add spinach to sausage/vegtables.  When sausage is heated through and spinach is cooked.
  6. Place a sausage link in the roll, top with cheese, and vegtables.
Very simple, quick, and healthy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS