Monday, May 19, 2014

Sew Cute Sew Easy - Week 2

Happy Monday!



My patterns and fabric swatches have finally arrived from Mood Fabrics! For those of you who missed my first blog post, I have started a blog series featuring my progress as I attempt to sew (yes, you read that right) some of my favorite spring looks. I have always cringed when I buy items that I know are simple to make. My mother majored in Fashion Merchandising, and made a lot of her own clothing as well as my clothing growing up.  Unfortunately, I did not capitalize on my time to pick her brain while I was still living home. Now, I just get half way through a project, call her crying, attempt to describe the situation (and she invariably has NO idea what I'm trying to describe), hang up, and rip it apart again. For those of you who are not master seamstresses in training (like me) I have some encouragement. As long as you cut out the pattern correctly, you can literally do no wrong. So, you may rip it apart once. or twice. or 45 times (seriously, I'm pretty sure I've done this).Unless you're using a super fine material like a silk or chiffon, most of the time it is totally fine!

To start off, I chose 4 patterns by Simplicity. Most patterns make it simple for a beginner sewer, however you can always look for patterns specific to beginners if you're nervous. Typically, its best to choose a pattern that makes a basic, simple shape that will not have a lot of pieces. Secondly, I like to choose patterns that offer me several designs within one pattern - like several different types of skirts, pants, shorts etc.

The first pattern I chose to use - a basic skirt pattern.  Here are the swatches of fabric that I think might work well for these style skirts. Each one has a great pattern and play on shapes - my favorite by far is the Marc Jacobs floral print. However, this fabric is quite fine, so I think I may just buy it, and sew it once I've got the hang of this pattern.  The Rebecca Minkoff Graphic print is light weight cotton - however it is very stretchy. This can be a challenge for a beginner seamstress - you have to make sure you cut correctly, so that it stretches the way you need it to. I'm thinking that I might start with the Diane Von Furstenberg cotton twill. It's a sturdier fabric, and with such a crazy pattern, I won't have to deal with matching my pattern on the seams.

So, now that I have my plans, its time to order my fabric, and start working on my 'rough draft'...I'll explain next week!
xoxo
m

sew

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS