Friday, December 12, 2014

Oh Hey Friday, Here's my Five ...


{one}
The new Samsung Holiday commercial.

I LOVED the first one, but this one might be better. What do you think? (BTW, I'm now an official Kristen Bell fan!)





{two}

The Department of Labor's new video, pushing for paid maternity leave.

Did you know that the U.S. is one of the only developed nations that does not provide paid maternity leave? I never paid it much attention until I got pregnant, and found out that I had only 6-7 weeks of paid time, and after that I was going without pay. (Speaking of which - ladies, if you are NOT pregnant and think you might be at some point soon, sign up for short term disability!!!! No one told me that could supplement pay/pay me while on Maternity Leave and now I'm kind of screwed).  The Department of Labor just released this video on YouTube which I think is fantastic. I've posted the one Morning Joe showed this morning on MSNBC, which has their discussion after the fact. Check it out.




{three}

Christmas Candles


I got my favorite Christmas candle yesterday, and if you're looking an amazing candle - BUY THIS ONE. I first bought it at Swoozies, and now I just order it online directly from the manufacturer. I'll be blogging about it later in my favorite thing posts...



{four}

My Ash Wedge Sneakers

Y'all. I'm obsessed. I FINALLY got these on Wednesday, and wore them Thursday. You might think they are super trendy and you can't pull them off. You're wrong. No lie, I had at least 8 people compliment me on them - none of them 'fashionistas'. My 50 year old male boss even loved them. You will wear them more than you think, and surprisingly, they even look cute with dresses. They were SO comfortable, and easy and right now on super sale at Saks Off Fifth. I highly recommend just trying them on. Just try it.


At Saks Off Fifth they are only $92 and at Last Call they are $104! Hurry, they are selling out SO FAST!

{five}

Office Holiday Party Dessert Contest

Today is our annual Parks and Rec Holiday BBQ. This year I entered the Dessert Contest in an attempt to win incentive leave (See, this is what happens when America doesn't offer paid maternity leave...I have to enter costume contests and dessert bake-offs to win time off. Too bad I didn't enter the Table Decoration contest too...)

I chose to make Trisha Yearwood's Italian Cream Cake - but I did it in cupcake form. It was amazing, and super fatty. Which made it PERFECT. I highly recommend.




Have a great weekend everyone! I super stoked its Date Night Tonight!! :)



4 comments:

  1. Wow - American maternity leave sucks. Here in the UK you only get a few months at 90% your pay and then another 3 months of around 50% but then you can claim "statutory maternity pay" for up to a year - it's not a lot but it something! Also over here a lot of companies are realising that "Mums" are worth investing in and are really investing in "flexible working" I hope America follows suit soon!
    On another note - I love candles and a christmas one seems like the best idea! lovely x

    ReplyDelete
  2. My sister owns a pair of wedge sneakers and she says she's never owned a more comfortable shoe! I need to get those candles - i bet they smell amazing!! hope you have a great weekend girl!! xo, Biana -BlovedBoston

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just signed up for Short Term Disability insurance, but then I also found out this little nugget: you can't give birth within the first 9 months (with a normal pregnancy) of having STD. basically, you can't find out you're knocked up, and then get disability insurance and expect them to pay later.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love that Dax and Kristen commercial! It made me tear up a little. Dang pregnancy hormones! :)

    ReplyDelete

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS