Thursday, December 11, 2014

Thoughts for Thursday: A Few of My Favorite Things..

Another week has flown by (Seriously, its THURSDAY?!) and I'm here to bring you another of my Christmas 'favorites'.

As a child my mother started a nativity for myself and my two sisters.  That first year, we opened a manger, Mary, Joseph, and a baby.  I was perhaps 7 or 8 years old, so to me, this was totally a toy. We each had a manger set up in our bedrooms with matching 'dolls'.  The manger was made by  Fontanini and each figurine is hand painted in Italy.  Each year, my great Aunt Irene would send us another piece to our manger scene.  Although I didn't know it as a child, this would become one of my most treasured Christmas possessions.  My little sister and I would play with our manger scenes constantly throughout the holiday season, and I must admit my manger has probably seen better days. (It used to have a lot more moss around the sides and roof).  However, I wouldn't trade the memories that I had growing up, 'playing' with baby Jesus and the pretty angel that hovered over his bed. (perhaps this was slightly sacrilegious, but it definitely made us much more aware of the biblical meaning behind Christmas.) As an adult, I love getting this nativity scene out and setting it up. Growing up, sometimes we chose to put only the manger out early in the season, and each Sunday of Advent, we added the relevant 'characters' to the story line. We would light a candle on our homemade Advent wreath, and read the scripture together.  I haven't done this yet with my husband, but I know it will be something that I will do with my son, and my other children.

The best part about this set is that it appears to be made of a ceramic or pottery clay - but they are all rubberized plastic (or something) so they will hold up over the years, and children. Typically I set this up on a mantle, and had greenery around it and pretty white lights. But, in South Florida, we have no fireplace. So the manger scene has taken its place on a table that also houses wedding photos...those may need to be removed - I'm still working out Christmas decor kinks...but you get the idea!

To see more of the Fontanini nativity sets, click here!


The two characters in the back are the shopkeeper, and another lady with Olives. I'm ashamed to admit I don't know her role in the story - but I know she did come with a little booklet explaining it - which I think is a neat feature of the figurines.



Two More weeks...Yikes!

XO,
M

1 comment:

  1. I'm a huge fan of Nativity's. My mother gave me one, when I was in college and I love setting it out. My husband and I also have a Peanuts nativity and it's fun to put out too! I enjoy moving the wise men and keeping the manger empty until Christmas morning.

    ReplyDelete

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS