Thursday, February 4, 2016

The Citrus Experiment

Last week I made a trip to Costco and realized while I was there we needed a few lemons and limes. When I say a few, I mean about 5-6. But, I was Costco. And I wasn't about to go to Publix just to get lemons and limes. So I just bought what felt like a 10lb bag of lemons and limes. Each. Surely, we'd use them, right?

No. No, you can't use that many. As I started to toss rotting limes out (I will admit they made lovely table decorations for a few days) I got an idea. Freeze the juice. I googled it, and sure enough, Real Simple did it. And, if they did it, so could I, right? Sure. So, the citrus experiment began.




First, I juiced the limes, then poured them into silicone ice cube trays. Be sure to measure about how much it takes to fill 1 cup, so that when you use them later, you have an idea of how much a cube is. I didn't use the plastic trays because I wasn't so sure how the whole process would work. The juice is slightly sticky and the silicone was pretty easy to push the cubes out. Not saying that plastic wouldn't work, I just don't know.




In case you're wondering, the average lime had about 3/4 of a cup of juice in it.

so now I'm just getting carried away with playing with my camera.


Once I juiced them all, I poured them into silicone trays, and froze them. After several days, I popped them out and stored them in ziplock bags. So far they haven't stuck together, so I think it might work!





Voila! And, now it's time to juice the lemons. And find reasons besides cocktails to use these cubes. Although, if all else fails, we'll have one hell of a margarita bar.

1 comment:

  1. Hey, thanks for the idea! I don't tend to throw mine out when they go bad, I throw them in the grinder to freshen the sink. Found you at Thoughts 4 Thursday

    ReplyDelete

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS