Tuesday, September 30, 2014

As Healthy As Dessert Gets


Today I'm linking up with:

Kristen for Handmade Tuesdays 
Emily & Kate for Taste of Tuesday!


I've posted before the wonders of the Vitamix, but this weekend I drug it out to try something I've never done before. Sorbet. I was quite intrigued by the recipe booklet that came with my blender, and its claims that sorbet was only 3 ingredients and a few clicks away. While it was not nearly as simple as the recipe led me to believe, I easily remedied the situation. I made two batches of this sorbet, the first a total flop...it made strawberry lime sauce. Attempt number 2, brought a more smoothie type consistency. Still, nothing like the picture. However, if you pour the mixture into small containers and pop it in the freezer...voila! You have sorbet.  I think this would be a great treat for dieters, dairy free people, or moms that just want to give their kids something sweet thats all natural.

Put the following ingedients into the Vitamix, in this order.

1 c of water
1/2 c sugar (or less if you want to make it healthier)
1/2 peeled lime
1 lb of frozen strawberries

Put all the ingredients in your vitamix, on Variable 1. Slowly increase the speed to 10 using the tamper. Next, switch to high for only 30 seconds. You'll see 4 mounds appear, turn off the machine in order to keep it from melting too much. Here are my results...sorry couldn't great photos. The sorbet was not so photogenic.



This was my second, more solidified attempt. But as you can see, its not so much like sorbet.


I attempted to scoop it out and make it look pretty, but it doesn't really work. I'd suggest just putting it in the freezer, in the intended serving bowl.





3 comments:

  1. Looks so good!! I am such a fan of sorbet so I'll have to give this a try!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love my vitamix too-- I add some greek yogurt to strawberries as well to make it into 'ice-cream'. And I use honey or stevia instead of the sugar :-)

    ReplyDelete

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS