Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Newsday Tuesday : Emma Watson's UN Speech

Today for Newsday Tuesday, I thought I'd highlight celebrity news with real substance.

Emma Watson was recently named a U.N. Women Goodwill Ambassador, and this week gave a speech to launch the U.N.'s He For She Campaign. This endeavor's purpose is to unite one billion men and boys to become advocates for women and girls worldwide. Perhaps the most popular part of her speech was when she addressed the what she believes to be longstanding misconception regarding feminism.  She explains this saying,

"I decided I was a feminist and this seemed uncomplicated to me. But my recent research has shown me that feminism has become an unpopular word. Apparently I am among the ranks of women whose expressions are seen as too strong, too aggressive, isolating, anti-men and, unattractive.
Why is the word such an uncomfortable one? I am from Britain and think it is right that as a woman I am paid the same as my male counterparts. I think it is right that I should be able to make decisions about my own body. I think it is right that women be involved on my behalf in the policies and decision-making of my country. I think it is right that socially I am afforded the same respect as men. But sadly I can say that there is no one country in the world where all women can expect to receive these rights."

Enjoy her speech!



                                        

1 comment:

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS