Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Fun Summer Cocktails Using Mint!

After coming home from vacation last week, we realized that our herbs LOVE summers in Florida! Those afternoon rain storms have turned our tiny mint and basil plants into absolute monstrosities! So, last Saturday night we decided to use some of our mint to make some fun summer cocktails! I am on the hunt for some good basil recipes (I found a strawberry basil drink I want to try...) and as we have successes, we'll be sharing them on the blog!

While on vacation in Pawleys Island last week, my husband and I stopped in at Nosh to have a cocktail at the bar.  We had two of some of the best cocktails we have ever had - all of which were simple to re-create at home! Many times when you get high end craft drinks at nice restaurants, they are full of ingredients that are rare, expensive ingredients that you never have lying around the house. Here is one of the ones we tried, Dr. C's Lemonade.

I used a 'jigger' as a measurement, which is approximately 1 shot. You can use any measurement cup you want, just use the same one for each ingredient, and keep the proportions the same.

 Dr. C's Lemonade

2 parts of Ketel One Citron Vodka
1 part simple syrup
1 part sour mix (I used Rose's)
1 part lemon-lime sode/Sprite
3/4 part of fresh lemon juice
muddle mint (use as much as you like)

Add each of these ingredients and ice into a cocktail shaker (trust me, its essential) along with the lemons you squeezed for the juice. Hold the lid on tight (the carbonation can push the top off!) and shake it well.

I tend to like my drinks a little more tart, but you can lower the amount lemon juice and increase simple syrup or Sprite if you want a sweeter cocktail. If you want to weaken it, or water it down a little, add a little seltzer water.

Rim your glass with sugar, and pour the drink over ice. Garnish with a lemon.





No comments:

Post a Comment

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS