Monday, February 16, 2015

President's Day Productivity




Since this was a long weekend for me...my weekending post is actually a Monday post.

Most Sundays I prepare some sort of large dish that feeds us through the week. Of course, by the end of the week neither of us want to even look at said dish (casseroles, chili, soups etc) but it helps on saving time during the work week. This past Monday I was off for President's Day and had plenty to time to plan, shop, and execute a light and tasty meal. Most of the recipes are by Bethenny Frankel - whom I believe would be my BFF if we ever met.

I started off in the morning marinating 2 chicken breasts in a greek yogurt mixture. Not only is this low fat, it also packs some flavor. (one note: I think this recipe made enough for 3 small breasts - I used organic - or 2 of the huge ones. You'll see in pics farther down...)

Happy Accident Chicken 
(No longer online)

7 ounces of non-fat greek yogurt (plain)

2 chicken breasts

1 Tbsp Dijon Mustard

1 tsp (each) of salt and pepper

1.5 tbsp of lemon juice

2 tbsp Tabasco sauce (or other hot sauce)

Mix marinade together. Poke holes in chicken - I totally forgot to do this. Marinate chicken in mixture for at least 4 hours but the longer the better. Best if you can do it over night. Grill chicken on high heat until cooked through (be sure to grease your grill first!) You can also bake your chicken if you prefer - but the char-grill flavor is really best.


(still found on the SkinnyGirl Daily Blog)

4 cups broccoli florets
1 small red bell pepper, chopped into 1-inch squares
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 garlic clove, minced
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
Zest of 1/2 lemon (I also added the juice from 1 lemon)
Salt and pepper to taste
Chop the broccoli and red pepper. Mix remaining ingredients in separate bowl. Line a baking sheet with foil, and spread out the vegetables. Pour the oil/lemon mixture over the vegetables and toss until evenly covered. Place in the oven at 400 degrees for 15 minutes. Toss/flip veggies, and cook for an additional 5-10 minutes depending on how well done you'd like it. Garnish with parsley.
I made some brown rice as well, and here are some pics of the finished product!
I was quite proud of my produce market haul ... so here is a picture of lots of additional ingredients...all of this for $10! and yes, that is a monster bunch of parsley (only $.79!).



Chopped broccoli and peppers



 



Toss Vegetables in marinade/seasonings.


Marinating chicken. See what I mean about the extra sauce?

Dinner is served....





1 comment:

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS