Monday, February 9, 2015

Weekending...

I started working on a Friday post, and it just never got completed. So while I typically take the weekends to prepare posts for the week, I opted instead to do a 'weekending' post in lieu of the Friday post that I missed!


Perhaps the the highlight of my weekend (and maybe the only thing I really accomplished) was the pot of southwest corn chowder that I made on Sunday night. I got the recipe from The Food Network's Pioneer Woman, Ree Drummond. While I find her incredibly annoying to watch - the woman can cook.


I have been craving this soup for the last week, and it came out absolutely perfect. It wasn't too thick, or heavy (despite its rather high fat content). Next time around I might even consider adding potatoes or chicken.  However, without potatoes, it does need some sort of carb - so I would recommend getting the bread bowls - or just getting some nice crusty rolls to serve with the soup.





I started off cooking the bacon and boiling the corn. I blanched these cobs of corn this summer when corn was sweet and fresh - saving it for the perfect recipe this winter!


Next up, I chopped an onion, red, green, and yellow pepper.




I melted a half of stick of butter in the bottom of the large soup pot and started off cooking the onion.  Next I added the peppers, corn, and then topped the vegetables with a little flour to thicken. Next I added the stock. Once I thickened the soup, I added the Half and Half and let it simmer.


While the soup simmered I grated the cheeses.



I added the cheeses, green onions, and seasoned to taste.

I was so excited to try it, I totallly forgot to snap a picture of it in the bowl! It might be in the 70s and 80s here, but a good chowder on a Sunday evening is always a good plan. I'm sure its even more satisfying for those of you who actually have a winter!





2 comments:

  1. Oh that chowder sounds incredible!! I'll have to try it because I'm a huge fan of chowder!! Thanks for linking up girl! xo, Biana - BlovedBoston

    ReplyDelete
  2. How funny, I just made this soup too! It's a favorite in our house. I always mean to double it so we can freeze some, but we are both happy to eat it for a couple days straight. So good!

    ReplyDelete

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS