Wednesday, November 18, 2015

Baby Food Finally Happened.

Finally...I've done it. I made some time, and I made baby food. Of course, it's not like it was that challenging of a feat - it's just pureed veggies - but nonetheless I felt like I made a gourmet 5 star meal.  My baby is an eater. A big one. He eats 4-6 oz of food 3 times a day, and that adds up. Making baby food was much faster and simpler than I thought it would do, and so if you have an hour I'd give it shot!

I chose to make carrots, peas, and butternut squash. The butternut squash was by far the most difficult, and the method I used was not that effective (lessons for next time). The easiest to make was the peas, which I just defrosted and tossed in the blender.   As for the butternut squash - I had read that you just roast it, and then 'scoop it out' of the hull. It was not easy to scoop out and I left alot of meat in the skin...next time I'll skin it, chop it, and then just boil it. 

I did end up ordering the Infantino Squeeze station that I mentioned here --  I'll be updating you on how well it works!






If you use frozen, just make sure there is nothing in them to preserve them (salt etc). I boiled the carrots, and I broiled the squash while I made the peas. 

You can add as much water as you want, depending on the level your child is at. Beckett is eating level two, and so filling the aater up about a 1/3 of the way (of the total amount being blended) worked for me. If you get too much water, just add more veggies. 


 
As you can see, (maybe) I got too much water in the peas. I just pureed more and added them in.


I saved tons of small baby food jars and used those to store what I had pureed. Homemade baby food doesn't last as long as its not sealed like a jarred item (of course, you could do that but that IS labor intensive). I just made enough to last Beckett a few days. In the future, I think I am going to cook carrots and then toss them in the freezer. Then the days I'm ready for more puree, I can just microwave the carrots and toss into the blender -- cut the prep time down some. 




And the best part -- after all this work, he ATE IT!



DONE.


Happy Wednesday!


No comments:

Post a Comment

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS